Monday, March 8, 2010

Modesty and "Old Fashioned" Ways Coming Back?

I had a little too much fun playing "dress up" with this doll. (The picture you are seeing is the final outfit I did).

As many of you know (heck, just look at the layout of this blog and you will know, lol) that I am a big fan of old-fashioned things -- the girlier the better. I actually gave up Jane Austen novels (but not DVDs, mini-series) for Lent along with Twitter. A couple of weeks prior to Lent, we had an PBS Emma viewing Twitter party with various women via tweet grid. I was amazed to see how many teenagers to 20-somethings were participating. Granted, Jane Austen is quite popular amongst young women (and the new version of Emma was the best, in my opinion), but it's not just her novels or anything associated with her. I've begun to noticed that more and more young women are beginning to favor modesty and the "old fashioned" ways that existed prior to the second half of the 20th century.

I've seen courtship being favored over dating. Fashions (still being over-sexualized in the secular media) have been slowly returning to the "Audrey Hepburn" era, with the Victorian and Regency eras giving a lot of inspiration to young women. Books such as the one I reviewed (How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World) are being written and read. Blogs (a number of which you can find on my blog list) are being published by like minded women. Even the way women carry themselves is starting to remind me of what we often read about in J. Austen novels.

True, women are still dressing "sexy" and whatnot, but I've seen less and less of that as of late... and not just because it's winter. I'm from L.A., we don't have 'winter' lol. Seriously, though, I am pleased to see that my generation (and the next generation) is reverting to the "old" ways, in which women acted like ladies. Am I the only one that is noticing this trend?

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I honestly do see it and I hope that this "trend" continues to gain more momentum. I would love to see it make a comeback.

Alright, that is my short thought of the day for today. The mountains of History and Humanities homework awaits. :)

As always, thanks for reading and God bless. :D

No comments: