Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Dear Mama Mary...

Please do not use without permission.
Dear Mama Mary,

Happy birthday! I thank God for giving you to us... and for your "yes" that blessed the whole world. Your "yes" -- which I meditate on every Monday and Saturday during the first Joyful Mystery -- has helped me learn how to say "yes" to many things, including learning how to better trust God.

Just as you said "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be [done] to me according to your word," I have been trying to do the same with my life. Instead of worrying about having some control over my future -- whether it be finances, career, vocation, etc -- I've learned to say "Lord, I am your child; I will do whatever you need me to do." This has been a hard lesson for me. The fear of unknown has been the greatest source of anxiety for me over the years... but I just have to remember that your faith and trust in Him gave us the greatest gift and I regain that confidence.

This summer you've held my hand through everything I've been through. From a month of hospital trips and doctor's appointments to recent intentions (which you know of), I have always felt your tenderness calming my nerves. I've grown to have a deep love for your Immaculate Heart, a devotion I had never felt particularly drawn to but one I now cannot do without. I cannot go through my day without wearing my Miraculous Medal (which I had wanted for several years but only recently got a temporary one). You've helped me draw my thoughts back to Christ and His infinite love and mercy.

Lately you've done something I would've never anticipated: you opened my heart as well as my eyes. You've helped me see my past errors that had held me back in terms of my vocation discernment. I was blinded for so long but a recent revelation (which I am attributing to the novena I did in honor of your birth) helped me see that I needed to let go of certain ideas. Furthermore, you helped me dodge a bullet before anything came out of it (which is why I started the novena in the first place; for clarity on the situation). I have a better understanding of myself and what's truly in my heart and for that I thank you. I'm sure the loneliness I felt earlier this summer will be easier to bear while I wait.

I've never felt closer to you than I have this summer. I am grateful for everything I endured because it helped me get to where I am. I look forward to consecrating myself to you later this year, my first time doing do. It's long overdue but it's better than I arrived a little late than never.

Thank you, Mama Mary, for everything you've done for me, my family, my friends, and, really, the entire world.

With a heart full of love,
your daughter,

No comments: