Thursday, October 25, 2018

Join Us for the Annual 54-Day Rosary Novena!


Hello, you lovely blog readers!

It's that time of the year again. No, I won't (and have never!) hit you up for cash. Instead, I want to invite you to join what has become an annual tradition for both Casa Guerrero (my mother and I) and blog readers/friends.

For those of you who may be new to this blog, I'll give you a quick history. A couple of years ago, I started inviting Twitter friends to join in on praying the 54-day Rosary novena when I prayed it. There's strength in numbers, right? I didn't ask them to pray for my own specific intention; I left it up to each person to pray for whatever massive intention they had with the option of adding the intentions of everyone else praying the novena. It went well so I did it again the following year and I invited blog readers to join in. To my surprise, many did join in and the number of people praying the novena grew that year... and the year after that... and the year after that, etc.

Last year we had the biggest group of prayer warriors since this tradition began. To this day, I still get messages about the amazing graces and answered intentions following last year's novena. If you want just an example of what I'm talking about, here's a sample of an intention answer last year's novena. I had so many other intentions answered (hello, steady work all year so far!) but that's just an example of a huge intention that needed the 54-day Rosary novena.

As per tradition -- and as recommended -- we'll begin the novena on All Saints' Day and end on Christmas Eve. If you do the math (and I have), it's exactly 54 days between All Saints' Day and Christmas Eve so, you know, perfect timing! This novena is recommended for intentions of all sizes and severities. I will also be offering to send you a daily reminder you need one -- either through Twitter, the blog's FB page, a text message (if we already have contact outside of social media), or an email.

Every year people ask if it matters if you do the traditional Rosary (without the Luminous Mysteries) or with the Luminous Mysteries added and the answer is: No! I personally do the traditional order without the Luminous Mysteries because that's how it was first prayed from the beginning of the devotion but the choice is all yours. The website I use has both versions so it's totally up to you and your own preference.

Of course, I'm also going to throw the annual word of caution: this novena is not for the faint of heart. Many people (myself included) have experienced what I call a "Murphy's Law streak." If something can go wrong, it's likely that it will go wrong. That's not to say that everyone will experience it. I've known people who've had no problems during it. Mom and I had just one minor hiccup during one of them. I've also known people who've only seen the good that has come from the novena. Still, I know there are people who've abandoned the novena because they've gotten overwhelmed with the obstacles they've encountered while doing this novena. The graces have always outweighed the bad (in hindsight) and if you have a huge intention that you really feel stuck on, I cannot recommend doing this novena enough.

Please don't let what I've just warned scare you off. I'm only informing you that this novena can really test someone so that you're prepared if you want in. But, you should also keep in mind that that's what the devil wants. He doesn't want you to pray for our Blessed Mother's intercession, especially for a big intention. He'll put obstacles in your way... but God is greater and Mama Mary will always crush his head. Keep frequenting the Sacraments, constantly invoke our Lady's protection, ask your Guardian Angel for some angelic backup, and you should be fine.

Having said that (and having potentially scared some of you off; lol, sorry!!), I'd still love for as many of you as possible to join this year's novena. Please let me know by All Hallow's Eve (next Wednesday) so I can add you to the list of those participating, especially if you want to daily reminders. There are already 4 people signed up (even before I started writing this post) and I'm excited to see how many more will join this year!

That's it from me for now. I hope you all have a lovely rest of the week!

As always, thanks for reading and God bless! 😊


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Im game

che said...

I'll be joining you as well. I did one earlier and the graces were amazing.

Veri Blossom said...

Is it alright or recommendable that a non-Catholic pray the 54-day rosary novena? Would it be wise or respectful if said person isn't in the best of places spiritually speaking?

Veri Blossom said...

Is it alright or recommendable that a non-Catholic pray the 54-day Rosary Novena? Is it wise or respectful for a person who is not in the best of places (spiritually speaking) to attempt it?

Melissa Cecilia said...

Veri blossom, they are more than welcome to join even if they aren't Catholic. As long as it's done with respect, there's no problem.

Veri Blossom said...

Thank you for the generous invitation to join in for the Novena. I am very seriously considering whether or not I should. As my life can get pretty crazy, I'm anxious about the spiritual ramifications in general. (And I'm worried about missing a day. Very worried.) Frankly though one of the main reasons I'm on the fence is I'm rather a mess in the spiritual department of faith. Being riddled with doubts and fear as I'm making a request towards Heaven makes me concerned that I am not respectful enough to even begin to ask. I especially wish to tread lightly when it comes to the sacred and holy. (Mother Mary and Her Son, Jesus Christ.) If you've wrestled with doubts about the person, you'd make of requests, is that respectful? Let's just say I've had experiences that are hard to shake that have caused such questions, doubts, and fears. (Hence the issue of respect.) Which is why I asked if a non-Catholic with past associations from other religions would be capable with such an endeavor. On another note if I don't decide to go through with it, I thank you again for the invitation and this blog. I've ended up getting the nerve to pray the Angelus, and your writings helped that. I'm just not sure if this is for me or I'm capable of taking this on at this time. Thanks again for your response and patience.

Melissa Cecilia said...

Veri,
There will be no spiritual ramifications if you do it and no complete it. Some Catholics don't finish it for whatever and nothing happens. God doesn't punish you if you don't finish or if you do it without being Catholic. Don't worry about where you are, spiritually. I've known people who've had major doubts and have had a very tumultuous relationship with faith and prayer and they've still prayed. Only good could come from prayer. God doesn't abandon anyone just because they are struggling; He doesn't even abandon when someone doesn't believe in Him. He (and his Blessed Mother) welcome everyone with arms with open. It isn't disrespectful to pray while having doubts. It would be disrespectful to mock Him, His mother, or the prayers but praying with doubts? Absolutely nothing wrong with that! You can try this novena if you feel pulled towards doing it. If you feel like you can't continue at any point, that's okay. Simply trying in earnest is better than completion with apathy just for the sake of finishing. If you don't feel like you can take this novena on, start with a simple prayer or a conversation with God. Tell Him what's going on; what's going through your mind and in your heart. If you want to join in this year, welcome. If you want to put it off until next year or another time, that's okay, too. Just know that you can pray at any time. I will also keep you in prayer.

Veri Blossom said...

I thank you for your prayers for me. It means a lot. I'm sorry to be such a bother on this page, but I have questions concerning about how to pray the Novena. I've looked over the site from prayerflowers.com and I think I understand most of it but for a few parts. I've tried looking up examples on youtube to brush up on how I'm supposed to pray, and it's a bit different from the website. At the top of the website under the Saint Pius X quote, is that part to be said before I begin the Rosary or after the spiritual communion part later on? And do I pray a full Hail Mary after the prayer in petition (after the spiritual communion part) or is that the Hail Holy Queen? And should I pray the Joyful Mysteries according to the chart tomorrow? I'm aware that on Thursdays the Mysteries usually recited are the Luminous ones. But I most likely will try the three traditional Mysteries as I'm not confident I could pray the Luminous well enough. I just wished to clarify that I understood the chart meaning that according to it I should be praying the Glorious Mysteries by this Saturday and the Sorrowful Mysteries by this Monday. (My understanding is that usually those Mysteries are not prayed on the day they seem scheduled for through the chart and I wanted to make sure I got it right.) Also is there any appropriate prayer for a non-Catholic to say for the souls of the dead(for tomorrow) regardless whether or not those souls were Catholic? Thanks again for putting up with me and taking the time to answer my questions. I hope you and your family have a good evening.

Melissa Cecilia said...

Veri, you're not a bother! Please ask questions of you have them!

Regarding the novena, tomorrow I'll post a step-by-step guide very early in the morning on how to pray the Rosary novena because I've had many people ask me how it's prayed. Check back after 8 a.m. PT for the post; I'll write it and schedule it tonight.

As for the prayer for the souls, you can use the "traditional" prayer even if you're not Catholic. It goes:

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let the perpetual light shine upon them. And may the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

life in cleveland said...

I am planning on doing the novena. Do o need to do anything to "sign up?"

Melissa Cecilia said...

Life on Cleveland, you're good to go. No need to officially sign up anywhere. If you want daily reminders, you'll have to let me know how to get them to you is all.