Monday, June 14, 2010

Where Should I Start?; Music Monday

Where should I start? I've had so much going on with me in the past 2 weeks that I haven't had time to sit down and write a proper blog entry. I guess I should start from the beginning and work my way forward.

The good news is that, while I am still recovering from some of the lingering whiplash that one gets in "girl world", I have managed to get myself out of it pretty unscathed. I think the young lady that sucked me into the drama saw that I would not go along with it so she's left me alone. Of course a couple of my friendships have begun to end in the process but I feel like it's for the best. I noticed that these friends, who are self-described 'hardcore Catholics', weren't acting very Catholic and that I was struggling with my faith due to my friendships with them. It wasn't until I stepped back and reflected on this (and on my vocation which I will get into in a minute) that I realized just how bad these friendships were for me -- and especially for my spiritual health. There is no ill will on my part (nor will I argue with them on their ways) and all I will do is pray for them. :)

I also had the realization (while talking to a good friend of mine about vocation discernments) that I really and truly meant to be a married woman and a mommy some day. I'd known for a while but I had an epiphany while talking to my friend about this that really left absolutely no doubt in my mind. Furthermore, I think I'm finally at a place in my life where I'm ready for someone to come whenever God sends him to me. I wasn't before (ready, that is) but I think I finally am and it's incredibly exciting. :D I'm giving credit to St. Therese of Lisieux and Sr. Tracey Dugas for this too.

What else? Oh! I celebrated the one year anniversary of my father's reversion on the 29th and I turned 25 years-old on the 30th! (side note: Thank you, Delaney, for that uber sweet birthday message on your blog.) My birthday was the best birthday I've ever had, surrounded by amazing, loving people. :) I am thankful that my track record of horrible birthdays came to an end.

Two other things I was/am thankful for: 1) I aced my finals and got a 4.0 for the semester and 2( I found out that my tuition and health insurance when I transfer schools next semester will be covered by a huge scholarship and two grants. Last year I asked Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati for his intercession -- to help me find a way to pay for the tuition without going into major debt -- and this year I got my prayers answered. I literally yelled "Thank you, God!!!" in the financial aid office and I nearly cried when I was told. The good thing is that my new college is Catholic so doing such a thing wasn't a problem. lol. Now I am going to keep my end of the promise (yes, I make promises to do something if my prayers get answered) but I don't mind because it'll be for the good of the community. :D Also, I have signed up for my classes and I can tell you that I will almost completely immersed in Catholicism next semester. Only two of my five courses are not Religious Studies related (although in my Western Lit class I will get to read Dante's "Divine Comedy" as well as some Greek Mythology and the Bible so I guess it kind of counts). I don't start until late August but I'm already really stoked. :D

If you're following me on Twitter I know you keep getting World Cup updates. Sorry about that but Futbol soccer is a passion of mine. In honor of the WC, I have an entry that combines the sport with Catholicism. I'd already done one a few years ago (when I started this blog) but I am going to another and expand on it. :D BTW, go U.S., Mexico, Spain, and England! :D

There is more I'd like to write but I'll save them for future entries. :D All I want to say is that I've been incredibly blessed and I don't know what I did to deserve all my luck but I wholeheartedly thank God for everything He's blessed me with... especially considering that I've been struggling with my faith lately (though I now know the source and have made plans to avoid it.)

Oh, before I go... Music Monday! Today's pick is Nikki Yankofsky's version of "God Bless the Child" (originally sung by Billie Holiday). I've known about Nikki for a while but her CD was just released in the States last month (which I highly recommend if you're a jazz/jazz vocal fan like me.) She's amazing... and only 16 years old!


Alright, I am going to go hang out and work on the novel (since I had to take a break during finals.) I hope y'all have a great week. :D

As always, thanks for reading and God Bless. :D

1 comment:

Claire Christina said...

Emmy! I missed your birthday 'cuz I was traveling (and thus away from facebook)! I'm so glad you mentioned it - happy belated birthday! *hugs you!*

One of my dear friends from grad school was just ordained a priest (the weekend of your birthday, actually), and a priest friend had convinced him that the two of them should go to the World Cup to celebrate. So there he is! He's even blogging about it at worldcuppriest.blogspot.com (just in case you wanted another blog to read!)

*extra hug* Love you! :D