Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Early Lenten Start and Moments of Bliss


Well, here we are -- Shrove Tuesday and the feast of the Holy Face of Jesus. While I am not eating pancakes or indulging in food, I am "indulging" in my prayer time and more reading, which has been lovely.

I started some of my Lenten practices a couple of days early to make the necessary modifications (e.g. time management hiccups) in order to be ready for tomorrow. Social media has both surprisingly easy to give up... yet hard to avoid.

While I've signed out of all my accounts (and have been since Sunday), I still absentmindedly (and out of habit) find myself typing up the first couple of letters and hitting "enter" when I see that particular social media website pop up. Again, I'm so happy I'm logged out because it becomes a reminder of what I have decided to do. I've also blocked cookies from my phone's browser so that I cannot log into any website that requires a password.

A little while ago, I was listening to "La Vie en Rose" as the rain started pouring on my rooftop. I stood up from the couch and went to the window to look at the rain falling from the mostly cloudy sky. I could see the sunlight and blue skies peeking through pockets that were untouched by the clouds. I kept listening to the song and listening to the rain mixing into the melody in perfect harmony. I was alone in the living room, a rare moment of quiet for a busy apartment building setting, and it was a beautiful moment of sheer bliss.

It's these little things and moments that we miss when we're so caught up on social media and on being on top of notifications. I'm sure I've missed a lot of things on social media... but I didn't miss this one beautiful moment that appeals to my romantic nature. Not only that, it reminded me of the beauty that God has bestowed on us; the beauty we often overlook because our attention is on something superficial and fleeting. For this moment -- for these realizations -- I'm grateful.

We're expecting heavy rain -- and even some thunderstorms -- tomorrow. I don't know if I will be able to make to Mass and/or church for the distribution of ashes because our local streets flood and my car is pretty low to the ground. That and I'm still feeling a little under the weather (read: lightheaded), which makes driving under these conditions a little more dangerous. Still, I will pray and ask St. Scholastica for a little break in the rain to and from our parish so that I may be able to attend confession and Mass tomorrow.

I think this is the first Lent that I actually prepared for and am ready for... which, of course, means very little because plans can change. Still, I look forward to tomorrow and the rest of the season. I know it's a penitential season but I feel like I really need this time to do some major interior housecleaning and relationship (with God) mending. Anyone else ready for the Ash Wednesday?

Anyway, I just want to write a little something to test this whole "daily blogging" format I have in mind. I think I'll wait until the end of each day to write the post, publish it, and then schedule the link to be posted on social media in the morning the following day, but don't quote me on it. Still trying to figure out how this is going to work as well. :)

I hope you're all having a lovely start of the week and that you're (more or less) ready for tomorrow and the next 40(+) days!

As always, thanks for reading and God bless. :)


4 comments:

AnneMarie said...

Happy Ash Wednesday! I love that picture you paint for all of us with the rain and the blue skies peeking through. I totally agree-we miss so much when we're consumed by social media! I hope that the day goes well for you-Lent is one of my favorite seasons, and I'm just excited that this year I'm healthy (last year I was sick and miserable, which made for fruitful prayer about God's plans for Lent vs. my plans, but I was sad to not be able to start off this season with Mass and ashes).

Melissa Cecilia said...

Happy Ash Wednesday, AnneMarie! Do you have any concrete plans for Lent?

AnneMarie said...

Thanks! I have a few-I'm already doing a severely modified version of the Exodus 90 that my husband is doing (that started in January) so I'm counting that as a lot of Lent stuff haha. But I'm also going to read Preparation for Death, by St. Alphonsus Liguori, because I've owned a copy for about 10 years but haven't actually read it yet and it seems Lent-appropriate. And my toddler and I made a Lenten chain with different prayers or activities that we are going to do together each day. There's other stuff that more vaguely is bouncing in my head, like an at-home retreat that we talked about, and wanting to get to Stations at our church sometime. But we'll see what becomes concrete and happens and what doesn't-I don't want to overload myself!

Melissa Cecilia said...

A friend sent me a link to a St. Therese-inspired retreat uploaded onto YouTube as an audiobook. I can pass it along if you'd like ideas on retreats.

I understand on the overloading; that's why I want to roll out my plans in increments and modify my plans as I go along. I'm sure I'll try things that don't work out and then try something else.