Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What I Learned Wednesday #22: Speedy Questions Edition

It's 11:21 p.m. PST. It's still Wednesday in Los Angeles! This still counts! lol. This will be a very quick list since I got caught up in school stuff once again and I still need to do nighttime prayers. I was planning on doing it this way anyway, but now there will be more typos than usual. lol.

This week I'm focusing not on what I learned but what I hope to learn before next Wednesday... and I am making this list public so if I fail, I can say that I did (no lying allowed. ever.) and will learn to do a better job the weeks after that.

1. Is RCIA the same everywhere? Would it be the same in, let's say, London as it is in Los Angeles? I am a revert who was baptized at 3 months, did her first communion at 8 years-old, and was confirmed at 13 years-old. I have never needed to know about RCIA which is my excuse, as sorry as it may be. I know that confirmation in Mexico is done at younger ages (hence why I was confirmed at the "old" age of 13 and not 16, in the States, like I wanted) so I am wondering if RCIA is the same everywhere.

2. What major differences (if any) are there in how things are done in England and the U.S. in regards to how Mass is celebrated, etc? Seeing a pattern emerging? You caught me; this is all novel sequel research but, really, it would be awesome to find out if things are done the same or if I would need to learn how to phrase prayers differently.

3. How many Latin Masses are regularly offered in the Archdioceses of Westminster and Los Angeles? Again, novel research but I'd love to see the differences between both Archdioceses.

So, that is my quick list of questions I hope to have answers to next week. If anyone of you would like to help a sister out, let me know. lol.

And now it's 11:33 p.m. and I still have prayers to get through.

I hope y'all are having a great week thus far!

As always, thanks for reading and God Bless! :D

 

4 comments:

HoyaGirl, said...

http://catholicmom.com/2013/09/04/faith-of-our-family-england-vs-america/

The blog post above may help a bit with the differences between the U.S. and England. There are even differences in the U.S. though - our diocese offers confirmation at the end of 8th grade when children are 13-14 years old. I know some dioceses in New England and in CA wait until the end of 10th grade though. I guess it just depends on the local bishop. Good luck with your research!

~Katherine~ said...

RCIA varies from diocese to diocese and even a bit from parish to parish. The basic idea--instructing catechumens in their faith--is always there, of course, and it generally runs from early fall until the Easter vigil. Quality of catechesis is a wiiiiiide variable. I had one friend who went through RCIA at one parish, and had an instructor who actually said that Catholics were supposed to be vegetarians because we were vegetarians in the garden of Eden. (rolls eyes) Fortunately, he had a fairly sane sponsor who would take him out for a hamburger afterwards and explain/correct what had been said in class. Other people I know have been through much better programs. Hope that helps!

Melissa Cecilia said...

HoyaGirl, that's perfect! Thank you!

Melissa Cecilia said...

Katherine - Ah. That, I didn't know. I'd asked before and was told it was the same in the U.S. I am glad you told me otherwise. So sorry to hear about your friend's experience. Yikes!