Tuesday, December 25, 2007

And the journey begins.

On this beautiful Christmas Day... and it is still Christmas in California... I have decided to start a blog to chronicle the beginning of Catholic education. See, I'm a cradle Catholic. I was baptized as a baby, did my first communion at the age of 9 and had my confirmation at 13 (I did it in Mexico so that explains why I was so young and why I have no confirmation name). Though I grew up going to mass and praying when I could, somewhere around my mid to late teens I somehow lost my way. I stopped going to mass and prayed very sporadically. I did some things I wish I had never done but nothing too terrible. I'm always been a "good girl" but had some misguided moments. How I never drank, nor did drugs, nor partied is a miracle... especially with the people who surrounded me in the city of Angels. I entered my 20s a little more mature but I still struggled to get back to the Church.

It, unfortunately... yet fortunately, took illness to get me back and I'm grateful for it. I am now 22 years old and I feel as though my life is finally going to truly begin. I've switched my major from English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies to a major in Religious Studies with a minor in English. I thought about the switch before I made it and I feel like it was the right choice. I love the Church and I am going to try to learn everything I can about it. I have this feeling that this is what I need to do so I will do it.

As you might've guess, I love writing. In fact, I have plans to write about my experiences and hope to show younger kids and teens that it is possible to stay away from all those temptations that are out there. For now, I will write in this blog and hope to either inspire people who have drifted from the Church to get back to it or to simply show people the journey of one girl towards a better understand of the Church as I live my life. There are no guarantees that I won't make a mistake or two along the way, but I will learn and I am willing to share my experiences with whomever wants to read about them.

And so the journey of a Catholic Nerd Writer begins.

No comments: