Monday, March 10, 2014

Genealogy through Church Records, Part One



I don't have much time to write as I'm in the middle of finding a lot of information on my mom's birth family (she was adopted) but, wow, God bless the priests and parishes who kept detailed records of marriages, baptisms, and confirmations.

I'm currently going through pictures of old (1555-1996) baptism records and I've already found my maternal great-grandparents... who mom didn't even know about. I've been having better luck with mom's side of the family because they were, well, wealthy and lived in a part of the country in which records were kept safely during the Cristero War. I've tried looking up info on dad's side but I get stuck in the mid 1800s since a lot of the fighting happened in the part of the country where that side of the family still lives. Apparently, the anti-Catholic folk burned a lot of the church records in the town my paternal family is from.

It's all so very fascinating and I would recommend anyone with some free time to try it out. You never know what you'll find out; I personally found out that my great-grandfather was baptized on my birthday, 105 years before I was born. How cool is that?

Anyway, just wanted to share this. It says "part one" because I fully intend to make this a series (or, at the very least, have a follow up).

I hope you all have a great week. :D If you have prayer requests, let me know. :D

As always, thanks for reading and God bless!

No comments: