Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Holy Innocents Question


I've been wanting to blog this question all day because it's a major pet peeve of mine but I haven't had the time until now. As y'all know, today (and it's still the 28th in L.A.) is the feast of the Holy Innocents. I don't know about other countries but I know in Mexico and other Hispanic countries, today is treated sort of like an April Fool's Day. People play pranks on others and then remark that they're "un pobre innocente" (poor innocent) if they fall for it. Considering what we commemorate today -- the massacre of poor innocent children -- it seems in poor taste to play pranks and then call people a "poor innocent."

My question for y'all is whether you feel the same way or if you don't think it's a big deal, I like April Fool's Day and a good prank now and then is fun and all... but it just feels and seems wrong to do it today of all days. If you're not of Hispanic origin and they have a similar tradition where your family/ancestors are from, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Anyway, this is a short blog post because I'm afraid I will keep ranting and I don't want to do that. lol.

I hope y'all are having a lovely week thus far!

As always, thanks for reading and God bless! :)

1 comment:

Christopher Schaefer said...

In some Spanish dialects ‘inocentadas’ means ‘prank’ as well as ‘innocent’. So the tradition of playing pranks on this day actually originated in pre-colonial era Spain–long before abortion was ever legalized, so people wouldn’t have made that connection with the feast, as many Catholics do today. It’s a major ‘April Fools’ kind of day in Mexico. With the increasing secularisation of our post-Christian culture, I’d only expect this tradition to get worse.