Monday, May 24, 2010

Quick Thought: Friendship and Jealousy

It's interesting to see just how much jealousy can damage friendships. It seems like no one has been immune to it this past week too. While it definitely hit me (though not directly because God's blessed me enough with a bit of common sense; I'm a bit too Elinor Dashwood in that sense), it seems that it hit others worse. It got me thinking: is being overcome with the emotion actually worth it? For me the answer is NO! I'm the kind of person that is able to stay levelheaded during these type of situations. God's blessed me with the ability to look at the picture clearly and without making rash decisions. I came to the conclusion that if something is meant to be it will be... and that includes friendships. If friendships are destined to end it's because it'll be best for both parties involved in the end. I've learned that very well and thank God for it. If friendships are destined to stay friendships, then they will. If friendships are meant to develop into something more, they will once both people are ready for that kind of relationship and commitment. What's so wrong with leaving it all up to God in the meantime? And why allow yourselves to get all worked up if things don't go the way you want them to? I've wanted many things (i.e. going to school abroad) but they haven't happened for many reasons and I've accepted it. Why not apply the same mentality when it comes to friendships and relationships? It would make things much easier and life a little better.

As for the jealousy one can feel because certain friends have things you don't, well... that's for another post. :)

While I am sad that a couple of my friendships are in the process of ending (as well as others being in the process of strengthening), I am eternally grateful to God for what I've been able to get from them. I feel no ill will towards them and I'm terribly sorry I couldn't offer them anything more. I will admit that for a minute or two I felt sick about the thought of it (and nearly cried) but, like I said, I remembered that I've given myself to God so whatever His will is for me I wholeheartedly accept.

And so that we don't end this on a negative note here's a song that came to my mind while this was going on. (It's a little silly but we all need it at times like this. :D)


Remember: Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. :D

'Til next time, thanks for reading and God Bless. :D

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Wow, I'm a little taken aback and glad I saw this on my dashboard. This is exactly what I've been going through this week, there must be something in the air. I'm so sorry that you are having to part ways with friends. Hang on Sloopy, you've got allot love in you and I'm sure plenty of friendships to come.

I try to put all of these type of things in the hands of Our Lady, The Seat of Wisdom. I'm so very dumb and she manages my affairs much better than I ever could.

Melissa Cecilia said...

You'd be surprised just how many people dealt with this this past week. And, thanks. :)