Tuesday, October 20, 2015

To My Godson on His First Birthday

Dear Neil Flynn,

I can't believe you're a year old today. It seems like just yesterday that I was at UCLA, taking an exam for a class (for which class, I don't remember), when your dad sent me a text message that your mama was in labor. I was both thrilled and a little nervous for you and your mama since the delivery took a little longer than we had hoped. I anxiously waited for news of your arrival all day. When your daddy finally sent me a picture of you, the moment you were born, I felt a great love and relief. Relief that you and your mama were okay and an immense love for my first little guy.

You see, little man, I don't have babies of my own yet. Therefore, you are my first little one... even if all I am is your spiritual mother. Although I cannot physically be there to watch you grow up (since you're currently in Florida and I'm across the country in Southern California, your mama and daddy have done a great job keeping me in the loop since before you were even born.

Yesterday we found out you have Koolen-de Vries syndrome. I've known your parents for years -- since before they were even married... I think before they even started dating -- and you couldn't have asked for better ones. I know they will do everything in their power to make sure you thrive despite whatever obstacles are thrown your way. I will also be there every step of the way, even if I can't physically be there all the time.

The future is bright for you, little man. I cannot wait to see you grow up... to watch you reach every milestone... to help you grow, especially spiritually... and to always remind you that you are special and very much loved. You've already taught me so much in your first year of life and I know this journey is just getting started. It's been an immense honor being your madrina and I'm so lucky to have you in my life.

I ask everyone reading this to please say a prayer for my little man and his parents on this special day,

Enjoy your gifts, little squishy, and I hope to see you soon. God bless you!

With all my love,
Your godmother

No comments: