Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Caved: Twilight Review; Must Watch!

Alright, so... I caved and I went to see Twilight. I usually don't like to get caught up in fan frenzy/mania of some franchises but I'd heard really good things about it, especially from my Christian and Catholic friends, that I decided to check it out. Also, this was a test for me because it was going to be the first time since I got sick that I've gone to the movies. I'm happy to report that my anxiety last about a minute or so. :D

Anyway, what can I say that other Catholic bloggers haven't said? Nothing really. I think a lot of people covered various topics/themes from the film/books in other blogs. I will just give my impressions of the movie... sort of a mini review.

The one that I loved most was that Edward was actually a gentleman throughout (most of) the movie. Granted, he "died" when society was different and men were actual gentlemen who opened the doors up for their dates, who willingly went to meet the girls' father, and introduced her to his family. Now? Yeah... not so much. I've only had one guy do that... and he's the one that's stuck around in my life the longest. Point being: there are not enough gentlemen in this world and it's a shame!

There was a scene where Bella and Edward could've easily gotten carried away but didn't... because Edward didn't want to. I won't go into more detail but I would like to point out a post Fr. Austin Murphy wrote on this scene and about true love waiting at his Jesus Goes to Disney World blog. I highly recommend you read it because, especially after seeing the film, I completely agree with what he wrote.

I have to admit that Bella and Edward's relationship reminded me of one that is near and dear to my heart. I think the main reason it reminded me of this particular relationship (and I really don't want to say who it is but let's just say it involves myself) is because Edward is so protective of Bella and wants what's in her best interest, and that's how it is in this relationship I've reminded of. He doesn't do or say things to her because he's selfish and he wants to do it. Edward places Bella first... all out of pure love. Okay, so he wants to kill her because her scent is intoxicating... and that's where our similarities end (thank goodness! lol!). How many of you can say that you've had to restrain yourself (either physically, saying something verbally, or even denying yourself something you wanted) because of the love you had for that person? Doesn't have to be romantic love, it can be familial or platonic. Now, THAT is what love is all about, kids. Oh, and getting a "hey... I actually liked this movie!" from your picky (extremely picky when it comes to movies) date is not half bad either. Haha!

Watching this movie from a "This is just a movie, Edward isn't real... snap out of it, girl!" point of view really helps show you things you'd otherwise miss if you were in a "fan-girl" sort of mode.

I won't write much more because I realized I've gotten carried away in my last couple of posts (with the length) so I will just give a couple of announcements... all you must watch! :D

First off, Fr. John (from my parish) is going to be interviewed on CNN between 9 and 10 a.m. tomorrow morning. Wish I would've posted this sooner but I was out almost all day. So, go check it out if you can. He's being interviewed on something that he's doing for the Catholic community, especially those in L.A.

Second: Remember my review of Hear My Voice (which, btw, would be a great Christmas present for any Catholic kids you might know)? Well, the author, Jonathan Stampf, was nice enough to let me know that he will be interviewed on Catholic TV on January 9th. He will be talking about his book (you can find the updated links to it -- and the new coloring page -- on the left side panel under "recommendations"). I hope you can watch it. And, if you're like me and don't have Catholic TV on your cable/satellite provider (darn Time Warner Cable!), I believe you can watch it on their website.

Alright, I won't keep you from enjoying the rest of your weekend. I expect to write at least 2 more posts this week... especially since it'll be this blog's 1 year anniversary on Christmas Day. :D I can't believe it's been a year already! Wow. :D Anyhoo... I will shut up now. lol. As always, thanks for reading and God Bless. :D
.

No comments: