Friday, September 5, 2014

7 Quick Takes, Vol. 21: SLP, Marriage, Sheen Saga, and Novels Edition


-- 1 --
I had an interview to be a student volunteer / intern at a private speech therapy office this morning... and I nailed it! I begin on Tuesday. :D It's a small company but they're doing the exact work I hope to get into as soon as I earn my Master's degree. Since I've chosen to be an independent, contracted SLP (as in, I won't work for a specific school or a hospital; I'll go where I am needed), this place is perfect for me. I can't really say more than that for obvious legal and privacy issues but let's just say it was my first choice to do my observation hours and I'm so happy I was taken on as one of the two students for the semester.

-- 2 --
In other SLP/school related news, I sent in my graduation application for the Spring of 2015 as per the suggestion of my academic adviser. Before you ask why so early since I'm aiming for a May 2015 graduation date, I have theories based on what I was told. Basically, it takes several weeks (up to two months) for the application to be processed and then they have to send the graduation package. Because I'm in Los Angeles and not Utah (where my school is located), I need to be ahead of the game in case there are any hiccups along the way. I don't want to miss the May commencement ceremony and that could easily happen if I'm not on top of things, months in advance. Either way, I'm so excited at the prospect of making my mama proud as I walk across the stage again. :D

-- 3 -- 
I've noticed an interesting trend on Twitter (and off social media) from guy friends in the past couple of weeks... and the topic is marriage. Now, I'm not surprised when us gals start talking about vocations and even start joking about "qualifications" future husbands must have. I have been surprised with how much the fellas are starting to talk about it; even more so than us gals. Seriously, dudes, what's going on? Curious female minds want to know what brought this on. Any man brave enough to answer this?

-- 4 --
Anyone else getting dizzy from the Ven. Fulton Sheen saga? First we get the news that the cause was suspended because Cardinal Dolan and the NY Archdiocese allegedly refused to go ahead with plans as had been discussed. Then we got news from the NY Archdiocese explaining why Ven. Fulton Sheen's body wasn't being sent to Peoria, IL to help the cause proceed. Now... I don't know. I haven't caught up with the latest installment of this whole thing. Thankfully, it sounds like this will only be a temporary issue and it looks like both dioceses are going to attempt to work together. I'm on Team #FreeFultonSheen and I'm still waiting for the tees to come out so I can get two.

-- 5 -- 
Some novel news, starting with first novel news. My debut novel, Will and Lina: When Two Worlds Collide, will be part of an Amazon Countdown Deal starting on Sunday. It will be on sale for 99¢. I don't know if Amazon will gradually increase the price until it's back to the current $3.99 price but it will be on sale from September 7th through September 14th. You know, in case you haven't gotten your copy yet. Yes, it's still only available through Amazon Kindle. No, you don't need an actual Kindle to read it.

-- 6 --
Update from the sequel: I am in the first round of edits for the novel sequel, Will and Lina: London Calling. Is it bad to say that I love the sequel more than the first one? Story-wise, it's more action packed. The first novel sort of gave you an idea of what the characters were like and their back stories. The sequel just assumes you read the first one and picks up where the (sort of) cliffhanger left off. For the record, chapter ten (currently titled Tubthumping) is my favorite for many reasons you'll have to wait to read to find out. ;)

-- 7 --
Just a picture clue (courtesy of tumblr) as to what the next blog post will be about. I have a feeling many fellas will pass on it but there's been a recent Anne of Green Gables reading boom amongst us 25+ gals so I was inspired. I'm still re-reading the series before bed and I'm highlighting as I go through the books so I'll be prepared. ;)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

And that's it for now. I'm going to go make myself a cup of tea and unwind for the excitement (and it has been exciting!) of the day.

Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!

As always, thanks for reading and God bless! :D

No comments: