Saturday, September 15, 2012

Taking Things For Granted

A couple of nights ago, upon realizing that I was procrastinating on a hard writing assignment, I posted this tweet. While I was talking mostly about myself, it seems to have made an impact on a couple of people who got to read it.

Having deadlines for my freelance writing assignments has helped me rethink my priorities... and made me realize that we (or at least I) occasionally forget to thank God for what He has given us.

I think we often forget that we don't have an infinite time on this earth. Our time is precious yet we choose to waste it (fellow procrastinators, I'm talking to you) instead of doing something productive. I'm not saying that we should be filling every second of every day with something to do... though maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. I personally need breaks now and then to keep myself sane. In fact, writing this is a break I'm having before I try to finish my last writing assignment for the week. There's nothing wrong with having time off... but who says we can't use that free time to simultaneously do something good?

I know my generation (Gen Y) is overwhelmingly apathetic and, well, lazy. I've done the research; it was part of my Thesis. Let's be real -- for the most part, we've had everything handed to us. Most of us haven't known what it is to truly have to work for something. I am including myself in that because, though I haven't had the easiest life, I've been incredibly blessed. Anxiety disorder and financial stress aside, I've been very fortunate and lucky. Yes, I've been struggling with anxiety for 12 years, but I'm healthy otherwise. Yes, I stress over money issues, but God has always found a way to provide for us. Yes, I lost my father three years ago, but I still have my mother and my siblings looking after me and vice versa. And, yes, I've gone through some pretty traumatic things (which have led to the development of my anxiety), but I am now in a good, safe place thanks to God. I am bringing all of this up for a good reason, I promise.

How many of you have noticed that most people only pray when they are in need of something? Before my reversion, I only prayed when I needed something. It's embarrassing to admit, and I am ashamed to have had that mentality, but it's true. When we are sick and then start to recover, we have this "grace" period where we are grateful for what we have... and the second that we're completely well, we forget. Again, I say "we" because I've been guilty of this as well. Since this tweet, I've made it my own personal goal to be more aware of the things that God has given me... and to thank Him when I realize the little things I took for granted before.

From what I've seen, I'm the first person in my graduating class to have a job. Granted, I'm self-employed (I pick and choose what assignments I want to take/write about... and those are hit and miss) and I only get paid 1.4 cents per word, but it's better than nothing. Also, a good friend is giving me a chance to do some freelance writing for a company he works for. Thanks be to God for these opportunities and for good friends!

I've had three near accidents the past 24 hours... none of which would've been my fault. I am crediting my guardian angel for protecting me. Seriously, L.A. drivers, get your stuff together. Anyway, in all three, I thanked God and my guardian angel for helping me avoid the accidents. And, okay, it took me a bit longer the first of those three times because I was so peeved that the woman saw me coming out of the parking lot and she still decided to go through on the street (and about 40-45 in a 25 mph school zone)... but I still did.

Also, bonus, my anxiety has been in check the last couple of days. Yes, I do have moments when I feel like it's coming on, but I fight through them. I've been "getting angry" at my anxiety and have been stubborn enough to say "forget you, I'm going to do this whether you want to let me or not." This has helped me keep it bay... and I've been able to do more because of this "fight" I've declared on it. :) Again, thank God that I'm learning to use my stubbornness for something good. :)

In a nutshell (for you tl;dr crowd): we often take for granted things God has given us. This includes (and is not limited to): health, making it to and from your destinations in one piece without accidents, wealth (and I'm not taking about financial wealth), having a roof over your head, having people who love you in your life, etc etc. I still say that we should have a priority reality check (really look at where you place importance) in order to really realize the amazing things God has blessed us with.

Anyway, I have to go work on my assignment... and then wash dishes. Fun! lol.

I hope you all had a great week and have a blessed weekend. :D

As always, thanks for reading and God bless. :D

No comments: